The Music & Worship Ministry Team is responsible for providing assistance to the pastor to plan music and worship that is pleasing to the Lord.
Worship is at the heart of our life together at Oakville Presbyterian Church. Every Sunday morning members, friends, and visitors gather in the sanctuary to hear scripture, offer prayers, sing praise, listen to the music of the choir and organ, and reflect on the sermon.
Music is an important part of our worship and an important responsibility of the ministry team. Jane Gilman provides guidance and talented direction in leading the choir. The Chancel Choir practices and sings during the seasons of Advent/Christmas and Lent/Easter. Practices for the Advent season begin in late October and in February for Lent and Easter. The choir uses a variety of musical styles, including classical, contemporary, and African American Gospel. Practices are held Wednesday evenings and just prior to the service on Sunday mornings.
The Praise Team leads the congregation in praise songs at the beginning of worship every other Sunday. The Praise Team includes piano, electric guitar, acoustical guitar, and an occasional tabourine.
The ministry team also provides assistance in a number of areas related to the worship service. Some of these activities include:
- Maintaining a list of ushers and greeters for each Sunday
- Arranging for a worship leader and acolyte for each service
- Preparing the baptismal font for baptisms
- Arranging and coordinating special services (hanging of the greens, Easter sunrise, Christmas eve, Maundy Thursday, etc.)
- Preparing and cleaning the communion elements
- Arranging for pulpit supply with the pastor
- Scheduling of Sunday pianist and organist
- Periodically reviewing the structure and elements of the worship service
The ministry team is always open to new members, ideas, and volunteers wishing to assist with the many aspects of music and worship at Oakville Presbyterian. For more information or to volunteer contact Louis Gerber.